NEWS: Starting May 2017, I will join the Oxford-Man Institute and the Department of Engineering Science at Oxford as a Senior Research Fellow.
From November 2014-April 2017 I was a research associate at the Engineering Department at the University of Cambridge.
Predominantly working at the intersection of machine learning and control, I am a joint member of both the Machine Learning Group and the Control Group.
I was working within the Autonomous and Intelligent Systems Partnership (AISP) and am grateful for having received funding from EPSRC and Schlumberger. Furthermore, I have been working in the area of computational mechanism design and am grateful for an award in support of this work from EPSRC-NCSML.
Contact information (Outdated)
Jan-Peter Calliess, DPhil
Computational and Biological Learning
and Control Group
Department of Engineering,
University of Cambridge
jpc73 “at” cam “dot” ac “dot” uk
Supervisors: [Jan Maciejowski, Carl Edward Rasmussen
My research interests include topics in machine learning, computational mechanism design, multi-agent coordination, probabilistic inference, control and dynamic systems.
PAPERS (Outdated, please refer to my website at Oxford for more up-to-date information)
- J. Calliess, Lipschitz Optimisation for Lipschitz Interpolation. To appear in Proc. of the ACC, 2017.
- J. Calliess, N. Korda, G. J. Gordon. A Distributed Mechanism for Multi-Agent Convex Optimisation and Coordination with No-Regret Learners, Workshop on Learning, Inference and Control of Multi-Agent Systems, NIPS, 2016.
- J. Calliess. Bayesian Lipschitz Constant Estimation and Quadrature, Workshop on Probabilistic Integration, NIPS, 2015.
- J. Calliess, M. Osborne and S. J. Roberts. Conservative collision prediction and avoidance for
stochastic trajectories in continuous time and space. Proc. Autonomous Agents and Multi-agent Systems (AAMAS), 2014.
- J. Calliess A. Papachristodoulou and S. J. Roberts. Stochastic processes and feedback-linearisation for online identification and Bayesian adaptive control of fully-actuated mechanical systems, WS- Advances in Machine Learning for Sensorimotor Control, NIPS, 2013. (Also submitted to Arxiv)
- J. Calliess, M. Osborne and S. J. Roberts. Nonlinear adaptive hybrid control by combining Gaussian process system identification with classical control laws, WS- Novel Methods for Learning and Optimization of Control Policies and Trajectories for Robotics, ICRA, 2013.
- J. Calliess and S. J. Roberts. Multi-agent planning with mixed-integer programming and adaptive interaction constraint generation. (Extended Abstract), Symposium on Combinatorial Search (SOCS), 2013.
- J. Calliess, M. Osborne and S. J. Roberts. Towards auction-based multi-agent collision-avoidance under continuous stochastic dynamics. Presented at workshop: Markets, Mechanisms, and Multi-Agent Models — Examining the Interaction of Machine Learning and Economics, (ICML 2012).
- D. Lyons, J. Calliess and U. Hanebeck. Chance-constrained Model Predictive Control for Multi-Agent Systems. Proc. of the American Control Conference (ACC 2012).
- J. Calliess, D. Lyons and U. Hanebeck. Lazy auctions for multi-robot collision avoidance and motion control under uncertainty. LNAI 7068, Springer, 2011.
- J. Calliess, M. Mai, S. Pfeiffer. On the Computational Benefit of Tensor
Separation for High-Dimensional Discrete Convolutions. Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, Springer, 2010.
- J. Calliess. On Fixed Convex Combinations of No-Regret
Learners. 6th International Conference on Machine Learning and Data Mining
in Pattern Recognition. In LNAI 5632, Springer, 2009.
- S. Pfeiffer, M. Mai, W. Globcke, J. Calliess. On
generalized separation and the speed-up of local operators on
multi-dimensional signals. 6th International Workshop on
Multidimensional (nD) Systems (NDS ’09). (IEEE-XPLORE).
- A. Porbadnigk, M. Wester, J. Calliess, T. Schultz. EEG-based Speech Recognition – Impact of Temporal Effects. International Conference on Bio-inspired Systems and Signal Processing, Biosignals 2009.
- J. Calliess and G. J. Gordon. No-regret Learning and a
Mechanism for Distributed Multiagent Planning. Proc. of the 7th International
Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS), 2008.
- J. Calliess, Lazily Adapted Constant Kinky Inference for Nonparametric Regression and Model-Reference Adaptive Control, arXiv:1701.00178, 2016.
- J. Calliess. Conservative decision-making and inference in uncertain dynamical systems. DPhil thesis. University of Oxford, 2014.
- J. Calliess, M. Osborne and S. J. Roberts. Towards optimization-based multi-agent collision-avoidance under continuous stochastic dynamics. Presented at AAAI-2012, Workshop on Multiagent Pathfinding, Toronto, Canada, 2012.
- J. Calliess, D. Lyons and U. Hanebeck. Lazy auctions for
multi-robot collision avoidance and motion control under
uncertainty. Technical Report. No: PARG-11-01. University of Oxford.
- (Extended version of workshop publication above).
- J.-P. Calliess, On Fixed Convex Combinations of No-Regret
Learners. Technical Report. Machine Learning Dept., Carnegie Mellon
- J.-P. Calliess, and G. J. Gordon. No-Regret Learning and a
Mechanism for Distributed Multi-agent Planning. Technical Report.
Machine Learning Dept., Carnegie Mellon University, 2008.
(Long version of conference publication
- J.-P. Calliess. Diplomarbeit. No-regret Learning and
Market-based Multiagent Planning. IES, Fakultaet fuer Informatik, Universitaet Karlsruhe. September 2007
Reviewer for Multidimensional Systems and Signals, ICRA, Automatica, CDC, IROS, ACC, Transactions on Automatic Control, NIPS and ICML.